IUI or Artificial Insemination
IUI or intrauterine insemination is a simple medical procedure that involves deposition of washed sperms into the uterus of a patient. The process is aimed at aiding the process of conception. This Assisted Reproductive Technology method is safe and effective in treating infertility, especially when dealing with natural barriers. In IUI treatment, a semen sample in a nutrient medium is placed in the uterine cavity, which in turn allows sperms to reach uterus.
Conditions Warranting IUI
- Poor semen quality with low counts or motility.
- Impotency or premature ejaculation in males.
- Problems in cervix that could lead to obliteration of sperms.
- Ovulation disorders such as Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome.
- In case of unexplained infertility where causes are unknown, IUI is advocated.
Prelimenary Steps in IUI treatment
An all-inclusive history is discussed and the essential examinations are done.
These are the things that need to be checked :
- The ovary of the patient has healthy eggs.
- The fallopian tubes must be open for a successful IUI treatment India.
- The uterus should be normal.
- The semen sample must show an adequate amount of motile and normal sperms.
- If a sperm donor is used, then we check for presence of any infectious diseases.
Different steps in IUI Treatment
Ovulation Induction : In simple terms, ovulation means release of egg by a mature ovarian follicle. When the patient is ovulating, IUI is performed. It is likely that ovaries are stimulated with the aid of a medication. This augments the egg production; thereby, probability of conception in the patient. Then, the patient’s uterus and ovaries are analyzed through an ultrasound examination. It should be noted that the prescribed drugs are directed to produce more eggs. Oral medicines and injections are used in the process.
Step One in IUI Treatment
The Insemination Procedure :
- The process is outright simple and safe medical procedure; it is also known for its effective results. The process involves threading of a lean flexible catheter through the cervix. Then, the washed sperms are placed in the uterus.
- The bladder of the patient should be empty. So, she may get asked to pass urine.
- The patient is made to lie with her legs raised.
- Then, the uterus is analyzed with the aid of speculum insertion into vagina. The doctor may employ forceps to hold the anterior lips. It is likely that the patient get uncomfortable in the process. However, there is no pain involved in the step.
- Afterwards, the uterus is introduced to semen in a gentle way. The process may take one minute.
- Doctors will make the patient take rest for the next half an hour.
Take care of the Patient after the Treatment
- After the insertion of sperms, patient is advised to rest for 30 minutes. Later on, she can work, travel, and eat in a normal manner.
- The couple can also go on with its regular sex life.
- In case of any pain, patient can consume any prescribed pain killer. But, consultation with the doctor is a must.
- Sometimes, doctor instructs consumption of certain oral medications or suppositories.
Testing for the Final Results : Blood pregnancy test should be carried out after 2 weeks of the IUI treatment. Once the conception is confirmed, an ultrasound scan is performed. In case of any doubt, it is better to consult the clinic.
Success Rates : The success rates vary according to a plethora of factors. The usage of fertility drugs is found to enjoy better success rates than the treatments without the involvement of these drugs. In addition, the sperm count is a huge factor in the process. Fertility specialists generally abstain from using sperm sample with low count. We have an average 31% IUI success rates compared to 15% IUI success rates around the world. The cycle could get repeated for 4-6 times at most. If the treatment is unsuccessful even after repetition of IUI cycles, the couple may have to try IVF treatment.